WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

MMW + Soul Bop



I came across this interesting musical collaboration and I thought I would share it with you all. Here is the trio of Medeski, Martin and Wood with trumpeter Randy Brecker and saxophonist Bill Evans in some extended concert footage (with of course some great groove drumming from Billy Martin!):



I can't say that Bill Evans is really a saxophonist that I'm really all that familiar with (although I do recall seeing him play on some later footage with Miles Davis at some point, maybe if I'm not mistaken?) I think he sounds pretty good here and he plays great with Randy Brecker. Fortunately I did notice that he's also playing at the Blue Note in New York City this coming April with Brecker and vibraphonist Mike Mainieri. I'll have to check that out during my next trip!

Have these guys recorded an album together? They should!

No comments:

Post a Comment