WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Monday, May 30, 2011

The Monday Morning Paradiddle



Hope you all had a nice weekend.
Here's a few things that have been floating around the Four on The Floor office lately:

-A very cool story from jazzonline.com about the infamous Roy Haynes flat ride cymbal that appears on Chick Corea's seminal trio date "Now He Sings, Now He Sobs" with the story from Mr. Haynes himself. Check that out here:

http://jazzonline.com/podcasts/jazz-backstage-roy-haynes-chick-corea.html

I had no idea that this cymbal (pictured above) was played on so many records. I'm going to have to revisit those recordings again with that cymbal in mind.

-I've been shedding the vibraphone a lot lately in preparation for some upcoming gigs. I really love the tune "All The Things You Are" and never find a lack of challenges or lessons to practice in that tune. Plus, the melody itself is really a work of art.
I still distinctly remember Jan Jarczyk giving me a piano lesson during one of our composition lessons and him teaching me the melodic and harmonic logic of this great composition.

I recently came across this interesting rendition of this classic tune:



-Thank you to everyone who braved the wet weather and came out to the Beatniq this past weekend to hear my trio with Jim Head on guitar and Jeremy Coates on bass. These guys really took the music to many places and a high level those nights. We had a great time creatively stretching on each others original compositions and a few familiar standards (although perhaps they weren't so familiar after we were done with them!) Jim Head is a FORCE to be reckoned with on the guitar. I have to say too that playing with an electric bass in a contemporary Jazz context was a very nice refreshing change of pace as well. Jeremy really nails it!

No comments:

Post a Comment