WELCOME TO FOUR ON THE FOUR: A BLOG ABOUT JAZZ DRUMMING AND ALL THINGS UNRELATED, BROUGHT TO YOU BY JON McCASLIN

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Shannon Powell



Some brief but very groovy footage of Shannon Powell, the "King of Treme", who's a very fine drummer from New Orleans whose credits include work with the Preservation Hall band, Harry Connick Jr. and Diana Krall:

"Powell's Place" - Preview HD from Tutti Dynamics on Vimeo.



Shannon Powell at WWL CBS morning edition from Howard Lambert on Vimeo.



Shannon Powell takes over the FOX morning news from Howard Lambert on Vimeo.



I first heard Shannon Powell on a Harry Connick Jr. television special on a CBC broadcast from London, England on New Year's Eve circa. 1992. Most of the show featured Connick singing in front of his big band and an orchestra but the rhythm section featured the solid Shannon Powell on drums with Ben Wolfe on bass. The concert featured Connick playing piano in a trio format with Powell and Wolfe for a few numbers (selections from the soundtrack of "When Harry Met Sally" I think ?) including a very hip arrangement of "Stompin' at the Savoy" which featured Powell on a contemporary, Gene Krupa inspired drum solo (with plenty of N'Awlins thrown in for good measure !). I wish I still had a copy of that.

I'm guessing that this show with Connick and Powell was one my first exposures to Jazz on television and I was smart enough to record the concert on my parent's Beta Max recorder. Very influential for me at the time and I eventually wore that tape out !

No comments:

Post a Comment